Tuesday 9 April 2019

Design Development Background

I started off with the background of Mount Fuji. I started with the purple as a colour as purple flowers are very popular in Japan with purple representing royalty which is not actually too appropriate for this brief so I decided to change it where I started looking at the blues, reds and black as red is important to the Chinese culture with the red relating to luck. Blue is a popular colour in Japanese clothing but it is also one of the most important lucky colours in Japan (with red being another). 

Playing around with the different colours and height of the mountain to see what worked the best for the background aspect.

 .  .  

I used the white space to play with as the mountain could be represented with the line it did not matter which side was colour and which was white space - that is purely aesthetical. 

I looked at using a grainy feature to go alongside with an image of a tree, however this was not very relevant as it had no meaning so went back to my research again. 

  

I looked into Kintsukuroi (“golden mend”) is the Japanese art of mending broken pottery using lacquer resin laced with gold or silver. As well as a nifty form of repair, kintsukuroi has a deeper philosophical significance. It is commonly reffered to as "more beautiful for having been broken". I tried to replicate this by creating a dotted red swatch and putting it into the given mount fuji shape. I thought the repeated dot pattern could replicate the 'broken' feature of kintsukuroi.

 . 



No comments:

Post a Comment