Tuesday 9 April 2019

Research Recap for designing my print

In my research as I have looked at both Japanese culture and Chinese culture I want to portray them both in the design. 

As a base / background for my print I thought that Mount fuji would be suitable as it is a symbol of Japan and it is easily recognisable as it is the single most popular tourist site in Japan, both for the foreign tourists but also for the Japanese. Showing that it is sacred and is popular within Asia.

Mount Fuji has been a sacred site for practicers of Shinto since at least the 7th century. Shinto is the indigenous faith or spirituality of Japan. many Shinto shrines dot the base and ascent of Mount Fuji. Shinto shrines honour kami, the supernatural deities of the Shinto faith. The kami of Mount Fuji is Princess Konohanasakuya, whose symbol is the cherry blossom :



For the foreground of the print I am looking at the flower tile from Mahjong tile. The Japanese crane which is considered to be a lucky charm. I am also looking at the 4 Chinese symbols for luck. 

I am looking heavily at luck because it is an aspect that comes up a lot when looking into the east asian culture. 



No comments:

Post a Comment