Thursday 4 April 2019

Initial Designs / Thoughts

Initially when designing I wanted to look back at all my research as it this is my research led brief, there was a lot to look back on. However I knew I wanted my design to be celebratory of the eastern asian culture and show the aspects that are loved and interest me.

The main aspect I want to focus on through out the designing phases of this brief is to make the print to be celebratory of the culture and the different aspects that make up this wonderful and interesting culture. 

Chinese New Year, celebrates the upcoming year with hopes toward luck and prosperity. 

Looking back on the peony flower and how it is known as the 'king of flowers' or the 'flower of wealth and honour' I thought I could use this to portray this in the design. 

I also looked back on the game Mahjong and the four flowers tiles that are used in that game. One idea I had was to use the flowers from the 4 tiles are repeat it how many times it says on the tile. 

I like the idea of the delicacy of a flower or a tree and how they all have different meanings and symbols in the east asian culture. 






The last one was more abstract and I tried to focus on flowers growing from the bottom. I also knew from my research that red is highly valued and Red is a popular colour in Chinese culture, symbolising luck, joy, and happiness. It also represents celebration, vitality, and fertility. 

From this I gathered that red should definitely be one of my chosen colours in my colour palette for my design. However in relation to the design itself I believe I need to look back at my research and select different parts of my research that I think will work well together and represent my depth research that I have undertaken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment